Young Makers (ages 17 and under) are Encouraged to Apply!
We are especially interested in showcasing our young makers — and have reserved spots specifically for projects made by them! Youth (any age) may exhibit their projects through a demonstration, presentation, or workshop. However, all makers under 17 must be accompanied by an adult mentor or guardian.
The ideal young makers for the Chicago Southside Mini Maker Faire are mature young people who are willing to explain, demonstrate, and share their project with others. Our makers 12 and under have the option to register for a half-day slot rather than a full day, All makers (including youth) must ensure their booth is manned at all agreed upon times.
Participation is free. If selected, all involved youth participants will receive:
- A digital badge and a physical certificate of participation in the Chicago Southside Mini Maker Faire, both commending their talent, problem-solving, and willingness to communicate what it takes to be a Maker.
- A seriously fun and memorable experience!
- Depending on the Maker’s school, community service hours may be earned.
We love having Young Makers demo their projects and share their learning with others. Feel free to share what you make in ANY category. Need help identifying projects? Consider these categories:
- Individual and Group Projects from school or other programs
- Robotics (FLL, FTC, FRC, Botball, 4H, BEST, VEX, Ten80, hobby)
- Music Performance and Participation (including making instruments from common objects) bucket drumming anyone?
- 3D Printers and CNC Mills
- Textile Arts and Crafts (t-shirt tying, dying, and repurposing?)
- Sustainable, recycled and repurposed creations
- Electric and human-powered vehicles
- Biology/Biotech and Chemistry Projects (yes! we want those too!)
- Kites, lanterns, origami
- Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and other microcontrollers
- Unusual Tools or Machines
- How to Fix Things or Take them Apart (Vacuums, Clocks, Washing Machines, etc.)
- Urban Gardening
- Home Made Toys
- YOUR GREAT IDEA HERE!
Applications received by June 15th receive priority placement at the Faire. Questions? Want to discuss your project? Contact our maker volunteer team at CallForMakers@ChicagoSouthsideMakerFaire.com.